Tweeting Away

Blast from the Past

How has it been ten years?
-----
I love serendipitous moments. And I had one today! I chanced upon this unknown cable channel showing Empire Records, and I must say, how I've terribly missed it! As I watched it for the nth time tonight, I felt like an awkward adolescent again - fyi, this movie once satisfied my prepubescent rebellious tendencies...yup, it has that much sentimental value to me. I was going through what my parents now like to call my "weird phase", which I'm sure every sheltered, went-to-Catholic-school, suburban (in my case provincial, hehe) kid-of-the-90's went through at some point in their lives: you know, the locking yourself up in your room, listening to rock music at max volume, looking all annoyed and angry all the time for reasons even you can't specify, phase of your life. A hundred times this movie took me away from my sedentary provincial lifestyle to an imaginary record store with the most colorful crew of slacker teenagers, whom I so desperately looked up to (and wanted to be like) at the time. Ah, how I now smile in pity at my past naive self. Lest anyone think, however, that I loathe my adolescence, let me say now that I found it to have actually been pretty fun. Not fun "oh gee I'd like to do it over again" fun, more like "it's all over anyway, just smile and tell yourself it made you who you are now" kind of fun.
-----
Anyway, for those not in the know, Yahoo! Movies provides this brief description of Empire Records:
-----
"This rocking, slice-of-life comedy examines one so-strange-it's-normal day at a busy record store, from the manager's attempts to cope with his bizarre young staff to the loves, lusts, and whinings of his slacker clerks."
-----
It fails to say that the film has a kicking soundtrack, from cool 90's bands like Gin Blossoms (if you haven't heard of this movie, you should've at least heard of its song, 'Til I Hear it from You'), Dishwalla, Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Cranberries. Also, that it produced some pretty renowned and slightly-renowned actors, even one that won an Academy Award (read: Liv Tyler, Renee Zellweger, Rory Cochrane from CSI Miami, and Ethan Embry of Can't Hardly Wait).
-----
Damn I feel old. This movie came out in 1995, which means it's been an entire decade since I first saw it. And I can't help but wonder about what I've done with my life since. Well, I got over my "weird phase", survived high school, and am currently having the time of my life in college. Still not movie-worthy I suppose, still very normal, average goings-on in the average life of an average girl. At least I've already got a lot of growing-up done. I sense, however, that I've much more to learn, much more to do, and much more to experience. But alas, all of these shall come in due time.
-----
Hey, at least I'm not locked up in my room anymore, watching a movie and wishing I was one of the fictional characters in it.
-----
(I've moved to the living room.)

No comments: