Tweeting Away

Verbal Diarrhea, Episode 1

So I’m back home again after yet another week of Senior Year, the end of which approaches faster than ever. Seven more days down memory drain and I shudder at the thought. Holy Awkward. I really am nearing the end of my academic career. So this is really happening, then? It’s weird how the big stuff in life still manages to surprise – I mean you’ve known from the get-go that they were going to happen someday, i.e. that someday you were going to have to graduate, or move out of your parents’ house, or break up with your high school sweetheart, but when these moments are suddenly right there in front of you, just a few less-defining moments away from your reach, everything suddenly feels surreal, and you can’t quite believe you’re nearly there already. At least that’s how I’ve been feeling of late. Surreal.

I was supposed to go to the beach today with the family, just like we were supposed to last week as well. But things came up, a couple of setbacks here and there, and just like last week, we ended up not going. It is in times like this when my strong desire to travel alone really kicks in. I think it might have started last summer, with me and my college friends going on our first out-of-town together. A string of other beach trips with the family followed, then there was also Cebu last November, and I was hooked. Not to mention how I read and fell in love with Garland’s “The Beach” and Che Guevara’s “The Motorcycle Diaries”. There was no question about it: I wanted to go to all these places. But then I realized there was one minor problematic detail that was going to keep me from getting to all these places – I didn’t have anyone to get there with me. So then I thought, screw it – I’ll go alone! Solitary Wanderlust, baby. Unfortunately not a lot of people have as of yet taken me seriously with this strong personal desire to just go. I learned that the hard way in Cebu, the details to which I can’t quite disclose in respect to all the other people involved. No worries, however, for summer is fast approaching – I can feel it, this is going to be my year, my summer.

Speaking of summer, a curiously disturbing thought – my schemas…(fyi: in communications terms, that’s the amalgamation of all the facts, stories, memories, passions, etc. that are stacked up in your brain, certain parts of which are specifically triggered at the mention of certain words, or at certain sounds, etc. For example, if a computer geek was to hear the word “mouse”, he would immediately think of the pointy device he uses to play games as opposed to the real, live thing that it’s named after. That's his schemas working.)…anyway, my schemas seem to be absorbing some new information, as the word “summer” is beginning to remind me not only of my favorite season of the year but also of Seth Cohen’s love interest. I’ve been watching mini-marathons of The O.C. all week. And as I’ve been moping around at home all day today, I’ve already seen three episodes straight. I really should've watched The O.C. sooner, if only for the cool piano tunes from Phantom Planet’s “California” that begins every episode and of course, for Seth Cohen. I love Adam Brody. Now I have this strong urge to talk about the episodes I’ve just seen but as my other OC-watching friends are already in seasons 2 and 3, Season 1 for them is, well, so last season. Total bummer. Maybe they have a discussion group for people like me on the internet – the “Jumping in Late on the Orange County Bandwagon” forum. I should look that up after I publish this entry.

So Seth Cohen. Love him. L-O-V-E. Dorky boys are really adorable in all their awkwardness, offbeat sense of humor and flat-out weirdness. Wait, how sad is it that I’m raving over a fictional character? I guess considering it’s nearing Valentine’s Day and I have no existing love interest in real life, gushing about a character from a teen drama can be forgiven. And from the way things are going these days (read: same people, same routine, same everything), there won’t be a change of activities for me anytime soon. I’ve known my guy friends too long to be able to like any of them that way (some of them I’ve already liked that way before, but that’s a whole other story. Hehehe). And I’ve got lots of gal pals, but as much as I think it’d be a lot easier if I jumped into that boat, I know for sure it won’t work. Oh gosh, was I really considering lesbianism for a second there? Not that there’s anything wrong with being a lesbian, it’s just that it’s really not for me because, I’m pretty sure I’m straight. Apparently the whole girl-on-girl thing works for others though, and to them I say good for you and good luck with everything. No judgment.

You know, this is why I hate Valentine’s Day. The lack of romance (which on any other given time of the year I don’t mind at all) gives me verbal diarrhea. Bite me.

This momentary case of ADD should stop right here. I should just go and watch some more of The OC.

And to everyone celebrating Valentine’s Day early, this is what I have to say: you suck. Hahaha. Just kidding. Have a blast. Give your significant other some flowers and chocolates, or a compilation CD you made yourself. Indulge in a delicious dinner. Oh, and get dessert! You have to get dessert. Then finally, to cap it all off...

…why not watch Fatal Attraction together?

(evil laugh, and curtains close.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking of, I'm also experiencing the 'OC fever'... though I didn't get to watch its 1st season, the second one just got me hook as well... :)