Tweeting Away

The Northern Downpour Sends Its Love

It happens every so often - you hear a song play for the first time and you're just so...blown away by it. It brings about a swell of emotion and you just don't know why, but you're carried away somehow and are either extremely happy or sad or nostalgic for no other apparent reason but the song you're hearing. Such is the way art affects humans I guess.
I remember hearing "Sleeping to Dream" by Jason Mraz for the very first time - I was in my dorm and it was midnight, real quiet. I had borrowed a random CD from a classmate. I hit play, not expecting to hear anything brilliant, but there it was - this beautiful, amazing song, being sung by this lovely, amazing voice. I felt like crying. It's crazy and silly, and who knows, maybe it was PMS or something - but I got all...emotional. I've loved that song ever since and when I heard it live at his concert I thought I was going to die.
So I was driving this morning listening to Panic! at the Disco's new CD (probably the first CD I've bought in ages - didn't have time to download the whole album over the internet), since I'm seeing their concert tomorrow with Mazie and Carlo and his siblings, and THIS song came on. It's called "Northern Downpour" and it's just...beautiful. The lyrics are amazing, and Brendon Urie's voice is just haunting (I particularly love the first two stanzas):
----------------
"Northern Downpour"
If all our life is but a dream
Fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me
And then she said she can't believe
Genius only comes along in storms of fabled foreign tongues
Tripping eyes and flooded lungs
Northern downpour sends its love
Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don’t you go down
Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely
The ink is running toward the pageIt’s chasing off the days
Look back at both feet and that winding kneeI missed your skin when you were east
You clicked your heels and wished for me
Through playful lips made of yarn
That fragile Capricorn
Unravelled words like moths upon old scarves
I know the world’s a broken bone
But melt your headaches call it home
Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don’t you go down
Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy morning (Hey moon, please forget to fall down)
Weathervanes my one and lonely (Hey moon, don’t you go down)
Sugarcane in the easy morning (You are at the top of my lungs)
Weathervanes my one and lonely (Drawn to the ones who never yawn)
Sugarcane in the easy morning (Hey moon, please forget to fall down)
Weathervanes my one and lonely (Hey moon, don’t you go down)
Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down
You are at the top of my lungs
Drawn to the ones who never yawn
-----------------------------------
"Genius only comes along in storms of fabled foreign tongues"...who can write like that? I'm so thankful our generation's lyricists have more to put in their songs other than the words "bling" and "booty" and "flossy" or whatever...
I hear Panic!'s going to release this as their next single, which sucks, because then EVERYONE will be freaking singing the song and, call it snobby or whatever, but you have to admit that when songs hit the charts and get all popular, and you start hearing them at the mall or at the supermarket or at some lame radio station, they tend to lose some of their charm. It kind of feels like losing a secret to the world.
Okay I'm getting all emo now. On the plus side, if it's really going to be their next single, it's more likely they'll be singing it tomorrow. I might cry if they do. Haha.
So ends my very Rob Fleming in "High Fidelity" entry. "Sugarcane in the easy morning...weathervanes my, one and only..."

No comments: